Tuesday, March 4, 2014

boys and guns

I know that I shouldn't let my son play with toy guns. And I have to admit it has really been a great challenge keeping him from getting fascinated with these things. He grew up conscious about the fact that toy guns and any toy weapons are not really a good idea. Sometimes he would receive gifts like these on his birthday and I would see to it that he is properly guided when he's playing with them. There came a time in school last year when he was in grade one, when he got into a fight. It was supposed to be a karate pretend-play  and his "opponent" kicked him hard on his side. He got hurt and punched that classmate on his side, too. I was asked to see his teacher in school. His teacher said he is not a violent kid. He just plays with all his might most of the time. But his teachers and I came to agree that I had to stop power ranger movies or anything that involves fighting in the scenes. I got Gabriel to gather and relinquish all his CDs and toys that says "violent" after a heart to heart talk with him. He is right now almost finished with second grade and no more news of similar incident in school. Thank  you so much Lord :)

A couple of weeks ago he was asking if he could have wooden toy guns. I didn't know what to do or what to say to him in that instance. "In today’s society, it is difficult to shield a child from “expressions of violence,” whether they come from television shows, video games or even older siblings and friends, Weiner notes. “Boys are likely predisposed to respond.” I read this in a parenting article recently. It says there that as parents we only need to make sure that our child's interest in these things doesn't get out of hand.

What amused me was when I brought these wooden toy guns to him as my surprise, he instantly got to work and colored them! My cute little artist. Never fails to melt my heart.  And you know what, he only  played with these toys for a few hours and then forgot about them the following day.









1 comment:

  1. Hi! my friend, As a Child I played with toy guns even used my fingers as a gun with my sisters.....of course those were innocent times and kids were taught at least I was that only cowboys,cops and bad guys use guns and the bad guys got arrested or..well killed .
    I realize times have changed and there are people who don't teach their children gun safety or in your case that using guns are wrong and though we somewhat disagree with each other it never hurts to train a child to handle things peacefully.

    ReplyDelete